Sunday, August 2, 2009

Mix Tape #37 - All of These Songs Were Important at One Time or Another


If you haven't visited Zen Running Order, it's a really nice place. Lots of folks who love music putting together great mixes.

They're having a mixathon and the theme is "Autobiography." So I got my self-absorption on and coughed this up. All of these songs were, at one time or another, really important.

You know what my favorite music video of all time is? This one:



Here's the list and some notes:

Side A
1. Bruce Springsteen - Atlantic City (First album I bought)
2. Squirrel Bait - Kid Dynamite (Closest thing to a theme song)
3. Big Black - Kerosene (Wayward youth/nascent Albini obsession)
4. DRI - Couch Slouch (Doin' crimes)
5. Thelonious Monster - Yes Yes No (High school ended very very badly.)
6. The Pixies - Brick Is Red ("Oh hey, I can listen to something other than hardcore...")
7. Scrawl - Remember That Day (They've gotten me through so much, really)
8. LL Cool J - Kanday (Christy)
9. Nirvana - School (I need to start writing Lara)
10. Helios Creed - I'm Your Spaceman (The Union's jukebox)
11. The Fluid - Cold Outside ("After hours at my place.")
12. Madonna - Bad Girl (Laura)
13. Pavement - Summer Babe (Katie/Eric)
14. Unknown - Sehnsucht (Thanks for all of those letters and drawings.)
15. Unknown - Some Chinese Song That Rips Off The Stooges' "Dirt" (Taiwan was the best thing that ever happened)
16. The Cynics - Erica (Erica)

Side B
1. Tricky - Ponderosa (So many trips to Cleveland)
2. Codeine - New Year's (Jolie)
3. Royal Trux - Sewers of Mars (Grad school sucked...)
4. The Palace Brothers - I Tried to Stay Healthy for You (...but the music got better)
5. Silver Jews - Dallas (Dallas is a shithole)
6. Acetone - Wonderful World (Working at UW almost killed me)
7. Stereo Total - Holiday Innn (Driving to Vancouver on 9/11)
8. Madvillain - All Caps ("Oh hey. I like this.")
9. Songs: Ohia - Farewell Transmission (I lost so many years...)
10. The Mountain Goats - No Children (Thanks for trying to make me think it was all my fault)
11. McLusky - The World Loves Us and Is Our Bitch (Ok, let's light this up...)
12. The Blue Hearts - Linda Linda (Damn you, Marsha)
13. Knock Down Ginger - Fool (Same to you, Christine, with your $500 skirts and your Silly Strawberry)
14. Ananda Shankar - Jumpin' Jack Flash (I do often miss you)
15. Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66 - Wichita Lineman (RIP Mom and Dad)
16. Cal Tjader - Gimme Shelter (I stop listening to new music)
17. Quickspace - Quickspace Happy Song #1 (Sorry for the repeat...it's really where my head is at right now)

Of course, this violates time constraints. Nostalgia > rules.

Here.