Sunday, August 16, 2009

Mix Tape #39 - Am I A Fuck Up?


It's probably not going to sound like it, but this mix came from two places:

1.

There's this Stephen Crane poem I really like. Here it is:

I saw a man pursuing the horizon;
Round and round they sped.
I was disturbed at this;
I accosted the man.
"It is futile," I said,
"You can never — "
"You lie," he cried,
And ran on.

I think I like it for the wrong reason. I'm pretty sure that Stephen Crane is the "I" and that he doesn't approve (or want us to approve) of the runner's actions.

But, see, I like the runner. A lot.

2.

There's a scene in that Away Me Go movie where the wife asks, "Are we fuck ups?" And the husband says that they're not. But the scene ends with her saying, "I think we're fuck ups."

I kind of feel like a huge fuck up lately. Need to tend to that.


But you didn't need to know any of that. What you need to know is that this sounds good. Really!

Notes:

- Two absolutely huge favorites here: "Make it Betta" and "The Dawn of Understanding." The Angel made film music, I guess, and then a great album. The Long Goodbye were a one-off project featuring Melissa Farris from Tuscadero. I need to make a mix of the axis of awesome that was Melissa Farris, Margaret McCartney and Evelyn Hurley. Imma do that in the next two weeks.

- Noel Harrison's shade of pale is really, really white.

- I kinda wanted to upload that Bebe and Serge album, but I think it's still for sale. Worth getting.

- When I heard Nicole Atkins, I thought, "Do we really need someone else who sounds like Regina Spektor?" And then I thought, "Yep."

- What the hell is going on in that Spencer Davis Group song? Who's looking at whom? Who is "he"? Why's he looking at them? Am I dumb? I so don't get what's going on.

- Oh neat. The video for Big Stick's "Drag Racing":



Anyway, here's the list:

Side A
1. Co Real Artists - What About You (In The World Today)
2. The Angel - Make it Betta
3. The Tiffany Shade - Come Softly to Me
4. The Long Goodbye - Dawn Of Understanding
5. I Gres - Sweet Steel
6. Francesco De Gregori - Pablo
7. Big Stick - I Look Like Shit
8. Noel Harrison - A Whiter Shade of Pale
9. Some Russian Guy - Some Russian Song
10. Neil Young - Fuckin' Up
11. Bebe & Serge - Surfin' In Space
12. Ann Margaret - It's A Nice World To Visit (But Not To Live In)
13. Straw Dogs - Tie Your Mother Down

Side B
1. Nicole Atkins - Brooklyn's On Fire!
2. Lesley Gore - I Don't Wanna Be A Loser
3. Hazel - Mr. Magazine Man
4. Bakersfield Boogie Boys - Okie from Muskogee
5. Buzzcocks - I Dont Know What To Do With My Life
6. The Spencer Davis Group - Looking Back
7. Bullet LaVolta - Before I Fall
8. Kim Fowley - I Hate You
9. Deltron 3030 - Love Story
10. Kirk Douglas (I Think) - A Whale Of A Tale
11. The Impossibles - Sarika Ha Khu
12. Os Brazoes - Espiral
13. 50 Foot Wave - Petal
14. Lou Reed - Bottoming Out

Here.