Sunday, October 24, 2010

Mix Tape #86 - aRI uP


I remember an impromptu writing assignment I had to do in college. We had to write about a place in the past we could never actually visit. A historical event. And I forget the objective of the exercise. Sounds kinda 5th-grade-y now, but I do remember that I wrote about how awesome it would be to see the Slits sing "Newtown" live.

My head frequently is like a radio set and songs like "FM" have always cleared the static.

And I had no idea that decades later I'd actually get to see Ari Up on stage singing "Newtown." And my former vision of how I'd feel about it was pretty dead on. Sans the cigarette smoke in the club. Because they banned that.

Thanks, Ari. For everything.



Side A
1. The Slits - Newtown
2. Peter Parker - Yr. ∞ B.M. ↓
3. Clarence Ashley - Naomi Wise
4. Ronnie Hawkins Quartet - Thirty Days
5. 4th Coming - The Dead Dont Die Alive , Pt. 1
6. The Slits - FM
7. B-Legit - Hands on Them Knees
8. Fiddlin' Powers & Family - Ida Red
9. The Slits - Love and Romance
10. Ike & Tina Turner - I Wanna Jump
11. The Dead Weather - So Far from Your Weapon
12. Jeannie C. Riley - The Girl Most Likely
13. U-Men - Clubs
14. The Bird and the Bee - Private Eyes
15. The Slits - Vindictive

Side B
1. Burl Ives - Lavender Cowboy
2. Omar Souleyman - I'll Prevent the Hunters from Hurting You
3. Scott Walker - We Came Through
4. Menomena - Air Aid
5. Guilty Simpson - Cali Hills
6. The Slits - Shoplifting
7. Anomoanon - Kick Back
8. Santo & Johnny - Bull's Eye
9. Constantines - Shower of Stones
10. Ronnie Hawkins & the Hawks - Ruby Baby
11. Stereolab - Vodiak
12. The Slits - Number One Enemy
13. Cacka Israelsson - Adios Amigo
14. The Slits - Life On Earth

Here.